I am in the process of trying to start some sort of club for dudes at
The idea is to have some place to talk about the perspective of growing
up as a male in my culture. The idea comes from my own process trying to
synthesize various articles I have read about the issue of gender. Many
are first person accounts of assault or rape, others are takes on issues
like Miley Cyrus twerking or Blurred Lines.
I have appreciated reading all of these other points of view, but they
have not left me with a cohesive sense of how to apply any empathetic
understanding I have gained to my own life.
I am blogging about this so I can get some of my ideas for the club down
A friend just recommended I look at ManKind
Project for some ideas.
A teacher actually suggested the idea of starting this club to me,
suggesting that we could look at some media and then discuss, because
reading an article or watching a clip gives people a place to start a
My plan is to get things rolling third trimester. Feel free to comment
with any feedback.
Some articles I have read in the past on this issues:
- Modeling Consent
- Why Is Everyone Getting Naked? Rashida Jones on the Pornification of Everything
- Blurring the Lines of Feminism: A Criticism of the Criticism of Blurred Lines
- When Women Wanted Sex Much More Than Men
- My Two Cents on Feminism and Miley Cyrus
- When I Didnt Consent. Why I reported. Why I didnt.
- What Happens When a 13-Year-Old 4Chan Cam Girl Grows Up?
- an open letter to sinad oconnor, re: miley cyrus.
- The end of kindness: weev and the cult of the angry young man
- How to Talk With Your Sons About Robin Thicke